Monday, September 28, 2009

"Garage Sale" ????


One of my favorite things to do on Saturdays is to go to garage sales with my sister. It's always been fun to me to go "garage sale-ing", as we call it. It is my husband's least favorite thing that I do. He has never understood why I love other people's "garbage" so much! But Rachel and I find some great treasures amidst that garbage some days! Especially now that she has Caleb. She understands how much fun it can be to go looking for baby clothes and toys! I really believe the Lord sends us to some garage sales just to find the "perfect" item. This story, however, takes place before Caleb. It was about 3 years ago, I think. Let me set the stage...


It was a warm, summer Saturday. Rachel had spent the night with me the night before. It was all with the grand idea of going "garage sale-ing" the next morning. We like to start early. We don't do the early bird thing, because that's just rude, but we do like to get started early before all the good deals are gone. We got our newspaper and hunted out the best area of town to go towards. We were so excited. And "garage sale" we did! It was a blast. I think we hit every garage sale in the newspaper. We were out of ads, so we decided to sign hunt! We were driving around looking for signs. "I will look on my side, you look on your's". We had been out for several hours at this point. So, I will give it to Rachel. We were both getting tired. We were in the beautiful little town of Loveland. We came to the top of a hill to a red light. As we were pulling up to it, Rachel shouted, "Oh, over there." And she started to read the sign. (I'm having trouble typing this right now, because I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.)


Rachel said in a loud, bold voice. "OH! Over there!" .She was reading slowly, and on purpose like she was sounding out every letter.."GARAAAAGGGEEE SAAALLLE! "


I looked out her window with excitement in my voice, "Oh boy, Where? Which way? I don't see it!"

I think she was getting aggervated at me.."Right there!" She pointed to a white piece of poster board. I was looking everywhere around the poster board. "What?"

Rachel said, "Oh, wait. Nevermind." I looked at the board...I said, "You mean the one that says 'Oak Bed for sale' ?" I couldn't help but lose it!! I started laughing so hard!!

"Where in the world did you think you saw garage sale?"

"I don't know. I thought it said that."

I promise you, my friends, my sister can read. She was trying to very hard as she read what she thought said "Garage Sale". She was sounding out every letter with purpose!!!
Oh, we still go "garage sale-ing" these days...but I look for the signs now. Unless of course we are looking for beds..then I let her read them!!! I love my sister, I really do!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment