Monday, September 14, 2009

Good times, good times!

Rick and I have now started working with the youth at our church, and I count it as such a privilege and honor. It is such a huge responsibility. Being with the youth has made me really start to think about my time in the youth department. My youth director for most of my time was Travis. It was great having my brother as my youth director...most of the time. I remember a few times when it was not so much fun because he went from youth director to brother REAL fast.
One circumstance would have been at our annual "Murder Mystery." I LOVED murder mysteries. It was one of my favorite activities. At one particular Murder Mystery I was sitting across from my then "beau" Ricky. I believe the mystery was over and we were all just sitting around talking and goofing off. Well, Ricky was hitting my feet and I may or may not have been hitting his back ;) I think you call this "footsies". Well, my youth director/brother saw us from across the room, and hollered at us in this playful but serious way. We got the point! BUSTED!! I know he probably would have done that to any teen in the circumstance, but it was different when it's you're brother! Oh man! I could've died. I could not believe my big brother just caught me flirting with a boy...he's not even supposed to know I like boys yet!
Another circumstance was at our Prim we had each year. I think it was my very first prim. I was probably about 13 (?) We were at Cincinnati museum center about to see an Omnimax show. We were standing outside when these two boys came over and started talking to me and my friend. It was the first time a boy had showed any interest in talking to me, and Travis was going to make sure it was the last! He came right over stepped between me and these boys, threw his arm around me, and asked why they were talking to his "little sister." I could've crawled in a hole! About that time they remembered they had somewhere else to be. He hugged me with his one arm, smiled, and walked away. The youth director/brother strikes again!
At the time those moments were "my worst nightmare", but now as I look back I'm so thankful for my youth director/ brother! I would not have traded any moment in that teen class. I can truly say that I know NO better youth worker! He has taught us so much in how to work with teens, and I pray Rick and I can impact their lives as much as he has impacted our's! I'm so thankful for my youth director!

No comments:

Post a Comment